Jun 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


2.1 Registration Access 

Access to registration will be granted by time tickets in Owl Express based on a student’s number of overall earned hours (this includes transfer hours). 


2.2 Maintaining Eligibility to Register 

A student must enroll during one semester each calendar year to maintain eligibility to register for courses.  If a student is not enrolled three (3) consecutive terms or more (including summer), the student must apply for readmission.  See the Admissions  section of this catalog for additional details regarding readmission. 


2.3 Holds on Registration 

Holds may be placed on a student’s registration in order to satisfy an obligation owed to the University. Failure to return equipment, books, or lab supplies may also result in a financial hold. Registration, transcript, and diploma requests may not proceed unless all holds are removed. 


2.4 Credit Hour 

KSU defines a credit hour as a minimum of 2,250 minutes of academic engagement per semester. For many courses, the time is distributed as 750 minutes of direct, faculty-led instruction and 1,500 minutes of out-of-class academic engagement.  For a 15-week semester (i.e., Spring Semester or Fall Semester), that equates to 50 minutes of direct, faculty-led instruction and 100 minutes of out-of-class academic engagement per week.  An equivalent amount of work and a minimum of 2,250 minutes of academic engagement per credit hour is required for credit-bearing educational activities, for which the direct, faculty-led instruction time varies, including internship, field experience, cooperative education, and some online courses.  Thus, this definition applies regardless of type of course, term length, and delivery mode. 


2.5 Classification of Courses   

Kennesaw State University divides courses completed for academic credit into four categories - lower division, upper division, graduate, and doctoral - representing increasing levels of rigor. 

  • Lower-division courses are numbered 1000-2999;
  • Upper-division, undergraduate courses are numbered 3000-4999;
  • Graduate courses are numbered 5000-7999; doctoral courses are numbered 8000-9999. 
  • Advanced, undergraduate coursework for the five-year, Bachelor of Architecture program are numbered 5000-5999. 
  • Graduate courses are open only to students accepted to graduate study or in instances where a Double Owl Pathway is in place (maximum 9 credit hours).

Courses numbered below 1000 do not count for degree credit but do count for determining fees and enrollment status. 

Graduate students may use graduate level work only to complete their degree requirements. Undergraduate coursework may not substitute or transfer more than one level; (i.e. 1000‐level course may not be used for 3000‐level courses and vice versa). 


2.6 Full Time and Maximum Course Load 

For an undergraduate student, twelve (12) semester credit hours is a full-time load for determining veteran status, financial aid, insurance eligibility, etc. Nine (9) semester credit hours is a reasonable load for a shorter summer semester.  Although, financial aid and insurance rules may require a student to attempt twelve (12) semester credit hours or more. For graduate students, nine (9) semester credit hours is a full-time load. 

During fall and spring semesters, a student may register for a maximum of 18 semester credit hours without additional approval.  The Office of the Registrar may approve a course load of more than 18 credit hours, if the student’s Institutional GPA is 3.5 or higher.  Course loads above 21 credit hours require a recommendation from the Department Chair applicable to the student’s major. 

During summer semester, a student may register for a maximum of 13 semester credit hours without additional approval.  The Office of the Registrar may approve a course load of more than 13 credit, if the student’s Institutional GPA is 3.5 or higher.  Course loads above 15 credit hours require a recommendation from the Department Chair applicable to the student’s major. 

A student on academic probation should consult policy 4.1.2 Academic Probation for additional course-load limitations. 


2.7 Course Audits 

A Kennesaw State University (KSU) student may request to audit one or more courses.  An audited course does not affect the student’s GPA, requires the same tuition and fees as a course taken for credit, and will be noted in Owl Express and on the transcript with the symbol “V.” Withdrawal from an audited course is subject to the 2.9 Withdrawal from Classes policy below. 

A student may choose to enroll in a previously audited course for a grade or for an additional audit attempt. However, the applicable department may choose to limit course audits. 


2.8 Prerequisites, Concurrent Prerequisites, and Co-requisites 

Unless noted in the catalog, a minimum grade of “C” is required as a prerequisite for all courses. 

Registration for many courses is restricted to students who completed certain coursework (i.e., prerequisite course(s)), met certain milestones (engineering standing, admission to the program, earned more than a particular number of credit hours, etc.), or permission from applicable faculty.   

  • Prerequisites must be completed prior to enrolling in a course. 
  • Concurrent Prerequisites can be completed prior to enrolling or can be enrolled in during the same term as a course. 
  • Co-requisites must be enrolled in during the same term as the course. 

Each student is responsible for identifying prerequisites, concurrent prerequisites, and co-requisites and planning a program of study in consultation with an academic advisor. 


2.9 Withdrawal from Classes 

A student who officially withdraws from a course by the end of the last day to withdraw without academic penalty will receive a grade of “W” and receive no credit. 

A student will receive a refund only when the student withdraws from ALL courses for the applicable semester and only by the schedule outlined in the University refund policy found here: Tuition, Expenses, & Financial Aid  

Students should be aware that a reduction in their hours might result in the loss of full-time student status and thus affect their financial aid, scholarships, athletic and ticket eligibility, University housing accommodations, use of University resources and access to University facilities, visa for international students, and Veterans Educational Benefits. Students should contact the appropriate office and their academic advisor with questions about the impact of their withdrawal from a course before initiating a withdrawal. Veterans and dependents of veterans who receive educational benefits must notify the Veterans Education Benefits Area in the Office of the Registrar of any course load reductions. 

2.9.1 Hardship Withdrawals 

If a student experiences significant personal hardship (e.g., medical or family emergency, prolonged illness), the Dean of Students can approve a hardship withdrawal from all courses in the term for which the student is currently registered. In the case of an approved hardship withdrawal from all courses, the Registrar will assign grades of “W” for those classes. The deadline for final approval of a hardship withdrawal by Dean of Students is the last day of class for which the hardship withdrawal is sought. If the hardship withdrawal process is not complete by the last day of class for which the hardship withdrawal is sought, a student must appeal for a retroactive hardship withdrawal from the Academic Standing Committee. 

Appeals for retroactive hardship withdrawals must be directed to the Academic Standing Committee. Retroactive hardship withdrawals are rarely granted if it has been more than one year since the last day of class for which the withdrawal is sought. Extraordinary justification must be shown. In the case of approved retroactive hardship withdrawals, the Registrar will assign a grade of “W.” 


2.9.2 University Initiated Withdrawals 

If a student is suspended by the Office of Student Conduct following a violation of the University’s Code of Conduct not related to academic dishonesty, the Office of Student Conduct may facilitate a University-initiated withdrawal from courses for which a student is registered for the term. The Registrar will assign grades of “W” for those classes. 


2.9.3 Military Withdrawals 

A student will receive a “WM” symbol for all courses and a full refund of tuition and mandatory fees and a pro rata refund of other fees for military and other service, as defined by BOR Policy Manual, Section To request a military withdrawal, the student must submit a copy of official orders to the Office of the Registrar. 


2.10 Military Short-Term Absence Policy 

The University recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made in service of our country by Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members and their dependents. At times these students may be called to fulfill their duties for training or short-term deployment, which cause students to be absent from classes for a short period of time. These absences qualify as “excused absences” which means that the absence, with proper documentation provided, is not subject to penalty and coursework may be satisfied through agreement between individual instructors and students. 

  • For any emergency orders where the student will be absent approximately 3 weeks or less: Students are responsible for making arrangements with instructors to maintain and/or make up classwork as needed. Service members should provide instructors with maximum advance notice of absences, providing copies of directives from the Military, Reserve, or National Guard. 
  • A student who will be absent for up to three weeks will be allowed to make up any missed work within a reasonable time frame (generally up to 30 days) without a grade penalty. Instructors must accommodate absences of up to three weeks for 15-week semesters and a proportional duration for other sessions. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate in writing directly with each instructor, as far in advance as possible, so appropriate accommodations can be made. 
  • For time-sensitive state or federal emergencies/activations where written documentation may not be available until the end of the obligation, the student is responsible for securing the orders to provide to faculty members upon return to the University. 


2.11 Cross Registration - Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education (ARCHE) 

Kennesaw State University is a member of the Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education (ARCHE), an association of colleges and universities in the Atlanta area offering a combination of reciprocal academic services, such as cross registration, interlibrary loans, and visiting-scholars program. 

The cross-registration program is available to students officially enrolled in ARCHE institutions.

This program is distinct from transient status in that it is possible for a student to register for an approved course at any of the 20 consortium schools and receive credit, while paying tuition costs to the home institution. The intent is to allow a qualified student to complete coursework in that student’s area of study that is not available at the home institution. 

A student applying to cross register must meet all eligibility requirements under the ARCHE agreement and the partnering school. Courses taken at a partnering school are transferred back as transfer credit. Credits earned through the ARCHE program do not count in the KSU residency requirement. 

To be eligible to participate, the student must be in good standing and must have the recommendation of the faculty advisor or Department Chair at the home institution. Cross registration may be pursued only for courses not offered at the home institution for the given term and is not recommended for a student enrolled in the student’s last semester before graduation. A KSU student must be enrolled for at least one semester hour at KSU in order to cross register. To apply for cross registration at an ARCHE member institution, a student must submit a Cross Registration Application to the Office of Registrar. KSU’s cross registration coordinator should be consulted for individual member college cross-registration deadlines. A complete list of the requirements for eligibility and registration procedures are located on the application. 

Member Institutions: 

Agnes Scott College 
Brenau University 
Clark Atlanta University 
Clayton College & State University 
Columbia Theological Seminary 
Emory University 
Georgia Gwinnett College 
Georgia Institute of Technology 
Georgia State University 
Interdenominational Theological Center 
Kennesaw State University 
Mercer University of Atlanta 
Mercer University 
Morehouse College 
Morehouse School of Medicine 
Oglethorpe University 
Savannah College of Art and Design - Atlanta 
Spelman College 
University of Georgia 
University of West Georgia 


2.12 Attendance Policy  

Attendance in classes, laboratories, and lectures is important. Each student is expected to attend the activities corresponding with the student’s schedule of courses.  The instructor determines the attendance policy for the course and at the beginning of the semester, provides the students a clear statement regarding the absence policies for the course, including academic consequences of absences.  A student who is absent because of participation in University-approved activities, such as field trips and extracurricular events, will be permitted to make up the work missed during the absences. 


2.13 Directed Study 

The following institutional regulations apply to directed study. Additional departmental requirements may exist. 

General restrictions: 

  • Content in the directed study must not substantially overlap an existing course in the curriculum. 
  • A student may not enroll in more than three semester credit hours of directed study coursework per semester. 
  • A maximum of ten semester hours of directed study may be used to satisfy degree requirements with a maximum of three hours used as related studies electives and a maximum of three hours used as free electives. The department shall determine the maximum number of hours allowed within the major. 
  • A student must have an overall institutional GPA of at least 3.0 and a cumulative GPA in the major of at least 3.0 in order to be eligible for a directed study 

Any student wishing to do a directed study must obtain approval from the department and complete a Directed Study request. 


2.14 Special Topics 

The following institutional regulations apply to special topic courses. Additional departmental requirements may exist. 

  • Content in the special topic course must not substantially overlap an existing course in the curriculum.  
  • Special topics courses cannot be required in a degree, concentration, minor, or certificate program because of their temporary nature, but may be included in a list of electives for any program. 
  • No course may be offered more than three times using a Special Topics course number and/or topic. If after being taught, the course can go through the curriculum process to be approved as a new course. 

Note: Special Topics courses are temporary; they are not ongoing courses with variable topics. Variable topics courses offer different content in different semesters and have undergone curricular approval. 


2.15 Cooperative Education and Internships 

The cooperative education (co-op) and internship courses offer participating students work experience relevant to their majors. For information about co-op and internship opportunities, contact the Department of Career Planning and Development or the corresponding academic department. For information about the applicability of co-op and internship courses to a particular major, contact the corresponding academic advisor. 

S/U grades will be assigned for co-op classes. One exception is COOP 2000, which is a 12-credit hour cooperative education course taken as an audit, where a grade of ‘V’ is assigned. 
The Internship grade structure depends on the academic department involved.


2.16 Enrollment Classification 

Undergraduate students will be classified based on the number of earned institutional hours. 

Freshman 0-29 hours
Sophomore 30-59 hours
Junior 60-89 hours
Senior 90 hours or more


2.17 Transient Authorization for a KSU Student to Attend Another College/Institution 

To be eligible for transient status, a student must meet the following criteria: 

  • Be an undergraduate student 
  • Be in good standing 
  • Have completed at least one semester at KSU 
  • Be currently enrolled or enrolled within the past three semesters.  

A student not in good academic standing or in the student’s first semester of attendance may complete the Transient Letter through Owl Express to acquire a letter of no objection. A student on disciplinary suspension or expulsion will not be issued a transient statement. Transient coursework will not be included in the KSU Institutional GPA. If a student repeats a course previously completed at KSU as a transient student at another institution and receives a higher grade in the transient course, the KSU grade will be excluded from the KSU Institutional GPA. See policy 3.7 Repeated Courses. 


2.18 Repeated Course Registration

After attempting an undergraduate course for the second time, including withdrawals (W) but excluding courses approved for repeatability, a student will not be allowed to re-enroll in the course without the permission of the Department Chair or designee. It is the sole discretion of the Department Chair or designee to decide if a student will be allowed to register for a course that the student previously attempted twice. Please see policy 3.7 Repeated Courses for information on how repeated grades are calculuated in a student’s GPA.