Jul 14, 2024  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Expenses, & Financial Aid

Tuition and Fee Payment


Expenses include in-state tuition, out-of-state tuition, mandatory student fees, and other special fees. All fees are due and payable at the time of registration, and registration is not complete until all fees have been paid.

Cash, checks, and money orders drawn on U.S. banks and payable in U.S. dollars are accepted. Electronic checks and credit cards will only be accepted on the web. Payment by credit card will incur an additional convenience fee charged by a third party credit card processor.

The University reserves and intends to exercise the right to withhold copies of transcripts and other student education records and/or to withdraw students who have unpaid or past due fee balances.

Students are required to pay in-state tuition and, when applicable, out-of-state tuition, for enrollment in all courses even if no credit is earned.

Per Board of Regents’ policy, at Kennesaw State University all tuition, fees, or other charges are subject to change at the end of any academic term. (BOR Minutes 1938-39, p. 384)


Collection of outstanding balances

Kennesaw State University reserves the right to use a collection agency and to pursue legal action in order to collect the balance of any debt. Once an account is placed in collection or legal action is pursued by the collection agency, the student will be liable for all collection fees, which will be in addition to the amount of the original debt. At this point, the student will no longer be able to pay the University directly, and any communication or correspondence with the University about such debt must be directed through the collection agency.


Tuition Rates


Published tuition and fees are estimates and subject to change. These amounts should be used only as a planning guide for future payments. Tuition charges can vary based on state residency status and degree program. Residency status is determined by the Office of Admission at the time of acceptance. Students are either classified as a resident or non-resident of Georgia for tuition purposes in accordance with the regulations of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. See https://financialservices.kennesaw.edu/bursar/tuition for the latest information on tuition and fees.


Mandatory Student Health Insurance

A mandatory insurance plan is in effect for the following student categories:

  • All graduate students receiving a tuition waiver as a result of a GRA, GTA, or GSA assistantship award.
  • All undergraduate, graduate, and ESL international students holding F or J visas.
  • All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance.
  • All graduate students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition.

A waiver of the health insurance fee may be applied for directly with the insurer. For insurance plan and waiver information, go to: https://financialservices.kennesaw.edu/bursar/mandatory_health. This plan is optional for all other students.


Expenses and Fees

Additional Lab, Specialized Course Fees: These fees are charged where applicable.

Applied Music Fee: The registration fee for one 50-minute private lesson per week is $150 per semester. Applied music fees are nonrefundable and may not be transferred to subsequent semesters.

Laboratory Breakage: Students in the laboratory sciences are required to reimburse the university on a cost basis for broken glassware and equipment.

Late Payment Fee: A $50 late payment fee will be accessed for tuition and fee payments received after the end of late registration and drop/add. This fee may apply at other times as well. For specifics, contact the Bursar’s Office.

Late Registration Fee: Students requesting a late registration or add/drop after all official registration periods have ended will pay a late hand registration fee of $30.00 per transaction.

Nursing Expenses: Mandatory uniforms costs $200-$250. A good stethoscope, watch, shoes, and other supplies costs approximately $100-$150. The initial testing fee is $325. Mandatory health insurance is charged to nursing students who do not have proper coverage.

Textbooks and Supplies: Textbooks and supplies are available in the university bookstore. Although the exact cost of books and supplies will vary with courses, an estimate is $500 per semester.


Housing Fees

Housing at Kennesaw State University is privately owned and managed, and all leasing and financial matters are handled by the KSU Foundation Housing Management, LLC. Housing fees may be paid in twelve monthly installments. For more specific information, please go to http://www.ksuhousing.com or call 770-426-0668.


Other Administrative Fees

Advanced Standing Examination Fee: A fee of $60 is required for each institutional advanced standing examination attempted; no course may be attempted more than once.

Diploma Fee: A diploma fee of $30 is required of all degree candidates and is payable at the time a petition to graduate is presented to the registrar. The fee is nontransferable and nonrefundable. It entitles the student to one diploma.

FAX Fee: Priority fee for electronic transmission (FAX) of unofficial transcripts or certifications forms/letters, of $10.00 per document.

Penalty Fee For Returned Check: A penalty fee of $25 will be assessed for each check returned by the bank.


Withdrawal/Refund of Student Fees

To withdraw from one or more classes, students must withdraw online through Owl Express.

Students dropping from classes before the end of late registration and drop/add are entitled to a 100% refund. After that date, students will be granted a percentage refund of tuition and fees only if they withdraw completely from the university. Lab, specialized course/major, and insurance fees are not refundable if withdrawal from course(s) is made after the end of late registration and drop/add.

KSU Institutional Refund Policy:

The refund amount for students withdrawing from the institution shall be based on a pro rata percentage determined by dividing the number of calendar days in the semester that the student completed by the total calendar days in the semester. The total calendar days in a semester includes weekends, but excludes scheduled breaks of five or more days and days that a student was on an approved leave of absence. The unearned portion shall be refunded up to the point in time that the amount earned equals 60%.

Students who withdraw from the institution when the calculated percentage of completion is greater than 60% are not entitled to a refund of any portion of institutional charges.

Students enrolled summer term who withdraw from second-session courses on the first day of those classes will receive a 100% refund. After the first day, no refunds will be processed. (BOR

Students should refer to the Schedule of Credit Courses for specific dates of each refund period.

Students who do not formally withdraw, those suspended for disciplinary reasons, and those who leave the university when disciplinary action is pending are not eligible for a refund on any portion of any fee.

A refund of nonresident fees, matriculation fees, and other mandatory fees shall be made in the event of the death of a student at any time during an academic semester/summer term.

Refunds will be disbursed by the university’s internet bank partner. Students may use their KSU Debit Card to select a refund payment method: electronic fund transfer or paper check. Details are available at: http://www.ksuone.com


Registration Fee Waiver for Senior Citizens

Pursuant to the provisions of an amendment to the Georgia Constitution, legal residents of Georgia who are 62 years of age or older at the time of registration for courses may have their semester (including summer term) tuition and fees waived (with the exception of supplies, laboratory fees, and special course fees). A driver’s license or birth certificate must be presented to the Admissions Office at the time of application for admission or to the Registrar’s Office once the individual turns 62 to qualify for this waiver of registration fees.


Military Service Refunds & Re-enrollment

Subject to institutional policies, full refunds of tuition and mandatory fees and pro rata refunds of electives fees are hereby authorized for students who are:

  • Military reservists (including members of the National Guard) and who receive emergency orders to active duty after having enrolled in a USG institution and paid tuition and fees;
  • Commissioned officers of the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (PHSCC) who receive deployment orders in response to a public health crisis or national emergency after having enrolled in a USG institution and paid tuition and fees;
  • Active duty military personnel and who receive an emergency reassignment after having enrolled in a USG institution and paid tuition and fees;
  • Otherwise unusually and detrimentally affected by the emergency activation of members of the reserve components or the emergency deployment of active duty personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States and who demonstrate a need for exceptional equitable relief (BOR;
  • Students who are members of the Georgia National Guard or other reserve components of the U.S. Armed Forces who are re-enrolling after having been summoned to active duty in an emergency situation are to be accorded special consideration regarding class registration, financial aid processing, payment of fees, etc., so as to expedite their re-enrollment;
  • Military personnel on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces who, before the end of their present station assignment, receive emergency orders for a temporary or permanent change of duty location who later wish to resume their education are to be accorded special consideration regarding class registration, financial aid processing, payment of fees, etc., so as to expedite their re-enrollment.

Tuition and fees awarded by scholarship or grant from an agency or authority of the State of Georgia on behalf of a student receiving a refund under this policy shall be reimbursed to such agency or authority.


Definition of Legal Residents

Individuals who enter the institution as out-of-state students but who wish to later qualify as legal residents must fill out a Petition to Change Tuition Classification form, which can be obtained on-line at https://financialservices.kennesaw.edu/international/georgia_residency or by contacting the Residency Officer for Kennesaw State University at 770-499-3536. A student’s tuition classification is not changed automatically, and the burden of proof that the student qualifies as a legal resident under the regulations of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia rests with the student. A student is responsible for registering under the proper tuition classification. A student classified as out-of-state who believes that he or she is entitled to be reclassified as a legal resident may petition the Residency Committee for a change in status. The petition must be filed no later than 60 days after the semester begins in order for the student to be considered for reclassification for that semester. If the petition is granted, reclassification will not be retroactive to prior semesters.

If there is any question in the mind of the student concerning his/her tuition classification status, application for clarification should be made immediately or not later than two weeks prior to the registration date in order to avoid delay and inconvenience of registration.

Applications should be addressed to Kennesaw State University Attn: Residency Committee, 1000 Chastain Road, Mailbox #9110, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144 


Board of Regents Policies Governing the Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes and Out-of-State Tuition

USB BOR policy on classification of students for tuition purposes and out-of-state tuition waivers may be found in the BOR Policy Manual section 4.3.2 and at http://www.usg.edu/policymanual.


Financial Aid


Kennesaw State University is committed to ensuring that a post-secondary education is accessible to qualified students. In order to accomplish this commitment, the Office of Student Financial Aid subscribes to the following goals to assist students in paying for their educational investment:

  • Evaluate the family’s financial ability to pay for educational costs;
  • Distribute limited resources in an equitable manner; and
  • Provide a balance of gift aid and self-help aid.

A wide variety of financial aid programs from scholarships, grants, employment, and loans are available to help students with educational costs. Most awards are based on financial need while some are awarded in recognition of merit or achievement. Financial Aid is awarded based on full-time enrollment status (12 hours). Financial Aid packages for students enrolled less than full-time may requirement adjustments. Eligibility for awards varies with enrollment status.

For more information, visit the Financial Aid Office, view the website at http://financialaid.kennesaw.edu, or call the automated telephone system at (770) 423-6074, fax at (770) 423-6708, email at finaid@kennesaw.edu or write to:

Office of Student Financial Aid
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road, #0119
Kennesaw GA 30144-5591


Determination of Need-Based Awards

Awards based on need are determined by a process called financial need analysis. The analysis is standardized by the U. S. Department of Education (USDE) using a financial formula called Federal Methodology. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application that is required to begin this process. The electronic FAFSA is the easiest and quickest way to apply. The processing time for USDE is approximately four days. The electronic FAFSA may be accessed on our web site at http://financialaid.kennesaw.edu or www.fafsa.ed.gov. Prior to completing the electronic FAFSA, students and parents of dependent students should obtain a PIN at http://www.pin.ed.gov.

When completing the electronic FAFSA for KSU attendance, use the Federal Title IV Code of 001577. KSU will receive your FAFSA information electronically. Students must reapply annually to qualify each academic year.


Need-Based Award Application Procedures

Need-based awards include grants, employment, loans, and some scholarships. It is advisable to complete the FAFSA early. The FAFSA is available on January 1 for the award year that starts each fall semester. The priority date for receipt of the FAFSA at KSU is April 1 of each year. FAFSAs received by the priority date with all requested documents submitted by the student and reviewed by the Financial Aid Office will be awarded first. New applicants must also apply for admissions through the Office of Admissions for a degree program.

When the FAFSA is analyzed by the U. S. Department of Education, the result is called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the amount that the family should be able to contribute to the student’s cost of attendance (COA). COA is the amount of direct cost (e.g., tuition, fees, room, board, and books) and indirect cost (e.g., transportation and personal expenses). Need-based financial aid is awarded to help the student with need (i.e., COA minus EFC).

(Estimated Figures)

Kennesaw State University (Cost of Attendance) Per Year (2 semesters) 2013-2014

  Georgia Residents Out-of-State
Tuition* 4,973 17,556
Fees 1,834 1,834
Loan Fees (est.) 125 125
Room 5,730 5,730
Board/At Home Expense 5,737 5,737
Books & Supplies 1,500 1,500
Transportation 2,874 2,874
Personal 3,000 3,000
TOTAL 25,773 38,018


Federal Pell Grant

This is a federally funded program that provides need-based grants to undergraduate students without a previous bachelor’s degree. The application is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Eligibility is based on the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and the Cost of Attendance (COA). Students receive their EFC information on the Student Report (SAR) after the submitted FAFSA is processed. The EFC range for Federal Pell Grant eligibility is 0 to 5081 The awards range from a maximum of $5645 per year (0 EFC) to a minimum of $605 (5081EFC) per year for full-time enrollment. Pell Grant is prorated according to enrollment by each term. Students receiving the Federal Pell Grant may also be eligible for other types of financial aid. Students are limited to one full-time award each academic year. Students are also limited to twelve full-time semesters of payment under the Federal Pell Grant program.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

This federally funded program is designed for undergraduate students without a degree with exceptional need seeking their initial degree. A student must have been awarded the Federal Pell Grant in order to receive this grant. Early FAFSA application is encouraged. Awards are generally made on a first come, first serve basis.


Student Employment

Federal Work Study (FWS) Program

The program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FWS gives the student an opportunity to earn money to help pay for educational expenses while working on campus or in community service work. Early application with the FAFSA is recommended. Awards are generally made on a first come, first serve basis.

Institutional Employment

There are a limited number of part-time jobs available in each division of the university. Funds for these jobs are provided by the department or college that employs the student. Interested persons should contact the particular division or department of the university or the KSU Career Services Center for information.

Career Services

The Career Services Center maintains a listing of full-time and part-time off-campus jobs for students who need assistance in locating off-campus employment. Regular listings are posted on the online job postings at: http://careerctr.kennesaw.edu. For more information, contact the director of career services.


Student Loan Awards

Federal Perkins Loans

This is a federally funded and need-based student loan that is administered by Kennesaw State University. The federal government pays the interest while the student is in school. Students may apply for this loan by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Awards are generally made on a first-come first-serve basis in the following order: graduating seniors, seniors, juniors, etc., until funds are exhausted. When awarded, the student must complete a promissory note and entrance loan counseling with a student accounts representative in the Bursars office.

Obligation for interest and repayment begins nine months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least halftime. Deferment from repayment may be requested for any of the following reasons:

  1. Enrolled at least halftime in a post-secondary institution
  2. Pursuing graduate fellowship or rehabilitation training program for the disabled approved by the U. S. Secretary of Education
  3. Unemployment (up to 3 years)
  4. Economic hardship (up to 3 years)
  5. Performing service qualifying for cancellation (e.g., full-time teaching)

Federal Stafford Loan-Subsidized

The Federal Government guarantees low-interest loans made to qualified students. Students may apply for this loan by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All loans are provided by the U.S. Department of Education. Students are allowed to select their lender and loan amount up to their award maximums. Eligible freshman may borrow up to $3,500 per year, while sophomores (30+ earned hours) may borrow up to $4,500 per year. Juniors (60+ earned hours) and seniors (90+ earned hours) may borrow up to $5,500 per year. The student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours each term to receive a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan. The amount of loan eligibility is based on need as determined by the FAFSA and the cost of attendance.

Subsidized indicates that the federal government will pay the loan interest while the student is enrolled in school.

Interest will accrue during the six months following graduation or when the student ceases to be enrolled at least half time for all new Subsidized Loans made between July 1, 2012 and July 1, 2014. The current rate of interest is fixed at 3.4%. . The origination fee for the Stafford Loan is 1.051%. Funds are disbursed to the student through the university in two installments. Repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least halftime. Students are allowed 10 years to repay the loan.

Federal Stafford Loan-Unsubsidized

This loan is available to dependent students up to $2,000 per year (above the amount of eligibility for the Subsidized Stafford Loan). This loan is also available to independent students who choose to borrow above their Subsidized Stafford eligibility or for dependent students who are not eligible for a Subsidized Stafford Loan. Students borrowing through the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program are responsible for the interest on the loan.

The current rate of interest is fixed at 6.8%. The origination fee for Stafford Loans is 1.051%. Funds are disbursed to the student through the university in two installments. The amount of eligibility is based on the dependent or independent status of the student and the student’s need. The application procedures and fees are the same as the Subsidized Stafford Loan Program. The student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours each term to receive a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

Federal PLUS Loan

This program is available to parents of dependent students. Parent borrowers may borrow up to the cost of attendance (at KSU) minus other aid.

The rate of interest is fixed at 7.9%. The PLUS Loan has a federal origination fee of up to 4.204%. A credit check is required for a PLUS credit approval. If a parent’s PLUS loan application is denied, federal regulations allow the student to borrow additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds. The student can then request additional unsubsidized loan funds.


Emergency Loan Program

Tuition and Fees and Personal Loans

The Emergency Loan Program is designed to provide temporary assistance to students during their matriculation at KSU. An emergency loan for in-state tuition and fees or an emergency personal loan for mitigating circumstances that produces a hardship may be available to currently enrolled students. The student must be currently enrolled and be in good academic standing (2.0 gpa). A maximum of three tuition and fees and personal loans are allowed while a student is enrolled at KSU. A KSU student is allowed only one such loan per academic year. (An academic year is defined as the first day of class in August through the last day of finals in July.) A student is ineligible to receive an additional emergency loan if the student received such a loan the last semester attended. Students may not request both a tuition and fees loan and a personal loan in the same term. Students who need emergency funds for in-state tuition and fees or for personal circumstances should complete an application online on the Financial Aid website on the specified date. Funds for emergency loans are limited. Loans are made on a first come, first serve basis.

A service charge of $10 will be added to the tuition and fees and/or the personal loan. The loan must be repaid within 45 days. If it is not repaid, a $25 late charge will be added to the emergency loan. If a student is late paying an emergency loan, the student is considered delinquent in payment and is no longer eligible for any emergency loans during their academic career at KSU. Students will not be allowed to register for the following semester if they have not repaid their emergency loan.

Monies for this fund have been received from the following sources:

  • Geral Dean Boggs Memorial-Established by the students of Kennesaw Junior College in 1967 to honor the memory of their fellow student, Geral Dean Boggs.
  • James V. Carmichael Memorial
  • Phillip B. Rice Memorial-Established in memory of Phillip B. Rice
  • Kennesaw State University Civitan Club
  • Kennesaw State University Women’s Club
  • The Southwest Women’s Club
  • Marietta Civitan Club
  • John L. Dees Memorial
  • Smyrna Lions Club
  • Betty H. McNiece Memorial-Established by Kennesaw College in 1984 to honor the memory of an employee, Betty H. McNiece
  • Kennesaw State University Rotary Club
  • Student Activities Budget Advisory Committee


Alternative Loan Program

Alternative or Private student loans are different from federal student loans in that they are not guaranteed by the federal government, require a credit check, and often a co-signer.

Loan approval, interest rates, and repayment requirements are prescribed by the lender. Additional information and application procedures are available from the Office of Student Financial Aid or the lender. Student must maintain satisfactory academic progress, and must complete a FAFSA for our office to certify an alternative loan.


Merit-Based Awards

HOPE Scholarship Program:

The Georgia HOPE Scholarship is a state-funded scholarship program from the Georgia Lottery for Education. Its purpose is to assist Georgia students in attending eligible Georgia postsecondary institutions to increase academic achievement, to keep the best and brightest students in Georgia, and to expand educational opportunities beyond high school to all Georgians.

Qualifications for the HOPE Scholarship:

To be eligible for the HOPE Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Must complete an application - GSFAPPS or FAFSA;
  • Must have at least a 3.0 HOPE GPA, which includes all college level coursework attempted since high school and from any institution attended;
  • Must have attempted less than 127 hours; and
  • Must be a final HOPE Scholar if less than 30 attempted hours.

HOPE Scholars

If you recently graduated from high school, you can only be awarded HOPE Scholarship after Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) has evaluated your high school transcripts. After noting that you are a HOPE Scholar, you may contact our office by email if not awarded HOPE at KSU.

If you are not a HOPE Scholar at the time of high school graduation, you may earn the HOPE Scholarship by achieving a 3.00 HOPE GPA at the 30, 60 or 90 attempted hours. If you have a 3.00 HOPE at one of these benchmarks, please email our office.

HOPE GPA Reviews

All students must maintain a 3.00 HOPE GPA at their 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours and at the end of every Spring semester.

Zell Miller Scholarship

The Zell Miller Scholarship was created in March of 2011 for Georgia’s highest performing students. To learn more about the requirements for the Zell Miller Scholarship, please click here. Students are determined initially to be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship by the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC). Students can check their status for the Zell Miller Scholarship, by checking their HOPE GPA on https://www.gafutures.org/. Students will only be awarded the Zell Miller Scholarship after KSU receives confirmation of their status from GSFC.

Applying for the Zell Miller Scholarship

To apply for the Zell Miller Scholarship, students must complete a GSFAPPS or the FAFSA.

To be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Must complete an application - GSFAPPS or FAFSA;
  • Must be confirmed as a Zell Miller Scholar by GSFC;
  • Must have at least a 3.3 HOPE GPA, which includes all college level coursework attempted since high school and from any institution attended; and
  • Must have attempted less than 127 hours.

If you believe you should be a Zell Miller Scholar and have confirmed your status with GSFC by checking your HOPE GPA, please email our office.

Zell Miller GPA Reviews

All students must maintain a 3.3 HOPE GPA at their 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours and at the end of every Spring semester.

HOPE For GED Recipients

Legal residents of Georgia who earned a General Education Development (high school equivalency) diploma awarded by the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education after June 30, 1993 may receive a one-time $500 HOPE award. This award can be used toward tuition, books, and other educational costs at an eligible public technical institute or public or private college/university in a degree, diploma, or certificate program.

Full-time enrollment is not required. Students must use their GED HOPE eligibility within 24 months of the date of the GED diploma. Military personnel have 52 months to exercise eligibility. Students receiving this award may also qualify for other HOPE programs.


Institutional Scholarship Awards

Several privately supported scholarships for undergraduate students and fellowships for graduate students are available at Kennesaw State University. These awards are normally merit-based but some are need-based. A complete list of available scholarships and fellowships is located at www.kennesaw.edu/scholarships. The majority of applications are available from November through March for the following academic year.


Disbursement Procedure

After completing the FAFSA or the GSFAPPS application, financial aid funds will be disbursed to registered students in the following procedure:

Step One: Students will receive a notification of a financial aid award letter through the school-assigned email address. Students must then access Owl Express to view their award letter. Any awarded grants or scholarships (including HOPE scholarships) are automatically accepted for the student. New students who want to accept an offered student loan must go to the financial link on their OWL Express account to accept the loan/s. The student must read, accept and submit the Terms and Conditions to be able to accept the loan. Then, the tab to accept the award offer will become a clickable link.

Step Two: Financial aid funds (Pell, SEOG, HOPE, Scholarships, and Loans) are applied to the students’ account on the dates indicated at http://financialaid.kennesaw.edu. Students receiving other types of assistance or external assistance should check with the cashier in the Bursars Office to determine the availability of such funds. Funds earned from employment are disbursed to student accounts bi-weekly.

Step Three: At the conclusion of late registration and the drop/add period, students will receive the balance of the semester award after tuition, fees, books and supplies are deducted. Students must indicate their choice through their Higher One Account. Students can select one of the following: a check from Higher One, have funds deposited to the students Higher One debit card, or have funds transferred to the student’s designated bank.


Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards Policy 

Federal regulations, HEA Sec. 484(c), §668.16, 668.34, require all schools participating in Title IV federal financial aid programs to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy that conforms to the requirements detailed below. These requirements apply to all students as one determinant of eligibility for financial aid.

  • Your SAP status is based on your entire academic record, at all schools attended (includes all transferrable hours), regardless of whether you received financial aid.
  • SAP is calculated each semester after grades have been posted to academic history by the Registrar’s Office.
  • If after the first term of attendance you are not making SAP, you will be put on a Warning status and allowed to keep aid for one term. You continued eligibility will be determined after the next term check point.
  • If your SAP status is Failure after the check is performed, you will not qualify for financial aid for the following term.
  • If your SAP status is Failure and you cannot mathematically attain SAP requirements following the next term, an appeal will not be permissible. Documented mitigating circumstances may allow continued eligibility on a case-by-case basis and will required an academic plan.
  • A student may appeal their SAP Failure status only twice during their academic career at KSU. Documented mitigating circumstances may allow additional appeals on a case-by-case basis.

Quantitative and Qualitative Requirements

1. Quantitative Requirement

The quantitative requirement has two parts:

  • A maximum time frame
  • A required completion ratio

Undergraduate Students

Maximum time frame (maximum attempted credit hours) - You must earn your degree before reaching 185 attempted credit hours, which includes transferrable credits attempted at any school prior to and while enrolled at Kennesaw State University (KSU). Students who are seeking a second undergraduate degree different from their first degree may be granted additional hours to complete the second degree requirements. Note “Determining Maximum Time Frame” below.

Once you reach the maximum attempted credit hours, you are no longer eligible for financial aid as an undergraduate student. Federal regulations stipulate that the maximum time frame for an undergraduate student cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the academic program.

Completion Ratio - You must complete and pass at least 67% of all credit hours you attempted. Courses earned include grades of A, B, C, D, or S. Courses attempted include any course in which grades of A, B, C, D, F, W, WF, I, S, U or IP are given.

2. Qualitative Requirement

The qualitative requirements sets a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average for all students. Each student must maintain a 2.00 GPA each term to remain in good academic standing at KSU. The cumulative GPA includes grades of A, B, C, D, F, WF and I. The cumulative GPA, which is determined by the Registrar’s Office processes, will be checked each term for SAP.

  • Undergraduate Students - The cumulative GPA requirement is 2.00 for each term.


Policy Details

When is SAP determined?

  • Initial Review - You are considered to be meeting SAP during your first KSU term.
  • End of Every Semester Review- Your SAP status is calculated at the end of each semester, after grades are posted to your academic history by the Registrar’s Office.

What happens when you do not meet the requirements?

  • You are no longer eligible for financial aid - including work, loans, grants or scholarships. If on a Warning Status - eligibility may continue (note below).
  • Because you do not qualify for financial aid, you must pay your tuition and fees by the payment deadline or your registration will be cancelled by the Bursar’s Office.

Maximum Time Frame (maximum attempted credit hours) - When you have attempted the maximum credit hours, you are no longer eligible to receive financial aid.

Is there extended eligibility for a 2nd bachelor’s degree? - Yes. You may attempt a total of 150% of the hours needed to complete your first degree plus 60 additional hours. The standard is 123 x 150% = 185 + 60 = 245 attempted hours.

Low Completion Ratio - There are two statuses for low completion ratio before your eligibility for financial aid is cancelled. Probation status is only allowed for one term.

• Warning Status - The first time you fall short of meeting the required completion ratio, your status is Warning. You remain eligible to receive financial aid while in warning status.

• Failure Status - After attending one semester on Warning status, if you do not meet the required completion ratio, your status becomes Failure Status. You are no longer eligible to receive financial aid until the required standards are met. You must successfully appeal to regain eligibility.

• Probation Status - After being placed on a Failure Status, AND a student has successfully appealed and financial aid has been reinstated, the student is eligible to receive financial aid. This status is only for one term and quite often will carry conditions and/or stipulations for continued eligibility.

How do you regain eligibility?

  • SAP Appeal - If extenuating circumstances during a specific term of enrollment prevented you from meeting the requirements, you may file a SAP Appeal.

Appeal Requirements:

1. A typewritten explanation of extenuating circumstances associated with Failure Status. Indicate how these circumstances have changed so that you can comply with regulations in the future. Attach supporting documents to corroborate extenuating circumstances mentioned in the letter.

2. Include a “student plan of action” for academic improvement. This requires that you meet with your Academic Advisor and receive a plan for getting back in good academic standing.

3. Attach at least one letter of support from someone that can substantiate the extenuating circumstances. This individual should not be a family member. Examples would include a medical doctor, clergy, professional, etc.

4. Attach the SAP Appeal form.

5. The appeals form must be provided to the Financial Aid Office within the prescribed dates as noted on the SAP Appeal Form. Failure to provide these within the prescribed dates will result in a delayed determination.

6. An objective committee, composed of selected individuals outside the Financial Aid Office, determines whether the appeal is approved. The decision of the Appeals Committee is final and cannot be appealed further.

  • Appeal Denials or Non-appeals - If you are denied an appeal or you decide not to appeal, you must complete the necessary hours and earn the appropriate grades. Once you have reached the prescribed standards you become eligible to receive financial aid.
  • You change from undergraduate to graduate - If you reach Failure Status as an undergraduate, and then are admitted to a graduate degree program, you will be eligible to receive financial aid as a graduate student. You must be in a degree-seeking status and fully accepted into the graduate program.

Academic Circumstances that Affect Your Status:

  • Changes in major, double majors or minors - may cause you to reach your maximum attempted hours, and lose your eligibility before earning a degree.
  • Incomplete grades, missing grades, failing grades, course withdrawals - all reduce your completion ratio, because they are counted as attempted, but not earned credits. They also count against your maximum attempted hours.
  • Repeated courses - count as attempted credit hours each time you register for them. They also count against the allowed maximum. This can also reduce your completion ratio because repeated credits count as earned credits only once. NOTE: The U. S. Dept. of Education allows only one retake for Title IV credit.
  • Academic Fresh Start - count against your maximum attempted credits, and also lower your completion ratio because the credits count as attempted but not earned.
  • Transfer credits, credits taken while cross-registered, enrolled in study abroad, transient study - count toward your maximum attempted credits and your completion ratio. NOTE: Credits count as attempted, but not earned, until your official transcript is reviewed and processed by the KSU Registrar’s Office. This could cause you to be in a Failure Status.
  • Remedial courses - do not count as either attempted or earned credits.
  • Late posted grades or grade changes- will require that you submit a written request to have your SAP recalculated after you have confirmed with the Registrar’s Office that the grade change has been posted to your academic record.
  • Dismissal and Return - students who are suspended academically or choose not to attend because of SAP Failure will not be automatically eligible for financial aid upon their return. Student must meet both qualitative and quantitative standards of SAP. If below standards, a student must appeal or use means other than financial aid for educational expenses. Absence does not restore eligibility for financial aid. It remains the responsibility of the student to be knowledgeable of their SAP standard when returning to school after dismissal or choosing not to return because of SAP Failure.
  • Summer Term Courses - all hours attempted and completed in the summer terms are treated as any other semester hours in determining SAP status. SAP will be checked following the summer term as well.
  • Audit Courses - students are not eligible to receive financial aid for audit courses. Audited courses are not included in hours attempted or earned for SAP determination.

Determining Maximum Time Frame

Undergraduate students maximum time frame is 150% x total number of hours required to complete their degree program. Ex., if a student is a Biology major, and the requirements listing in the catalog require 123 credit hours to complete this program, then a total of 123 hours is required for the degree x 150% = 185 attempted credit hours. The maximum number of hours is therefore 185 attempted hours for this student.

For 2nd BA degree seeking students: The maximum time frame (using the above example) is 245 attempted credit hours or 150% of hours needed to complete the first degree plus 60 additional hours. Ex., 123 x 150% = 185 + 60 = 245.

No Progress (receiving all Fs or all Ws)

In addition, any student that fails to make progress by receiving all Fs or WFs (or combination of both) in any given semester will be placed on SAP Failure and will immediately lose eligibility for financial aid beginning the next semester.

Students receiving all Ws will be placed on SAP Warning beginning the following semester regardless of the students’ cumulative GPA, and their continued financial aid eligibility will be checked consistent with policy (the following term).


Other Financial Services


Veterans’ Benefits

The university is on the approved list of the Georgia State Approving Agency for the training of veterans, disabled veterans, and the children and widows of deceased veterans who are eligible for benefits under the G.I. Bill.

Students in training under the G.I. Bill are required to pay all fees as regular students, since they are paid benefits directly through the Veterans Administration. KSU and the VA do not have an agreement to process tuition/fee waivers; therefore, failure of the VA to pay students in a timely manner does not eliminate or delay a student’s financial responsibility to Kennesaw State University. Each VA beneficiary should make financial preparation for at least one semester because benefit checks are sometimes delayed.

Veterans receiving Vocational Rehabilitation benefits must contact the VA Regional Office to be assigned a counselor to help with the application process. All other benefits can be applied for on line at www.gibill.va.gov . Students in training under the G.I. Vocational Rehabilitation program should check with the university Business Services Office regarding the handling of their account for fees, supplies, etc.

Eligible veterans, children and widows of veterans must make application to their regional Veterans Administration Office. Application forms are available at Kennesaw State University in the Office of the Registrar. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the registrar’s office at the time of acceptance to the university. Certain requirements must be met before students may be certified for noncredit remedial courses for VA payment purposes.

Students attending on the G.I. Bill are certified for VA benefits only for those courses required in their particular programs of study. Courses taken for audit are not payable by the VA. Such students must maintain Kennesaw State University standards for academic performance. Those students who are academically dismissed from school will have their benefits interrupted. Upon readmission and re-certification of benefits at Kennesaw State University, the VA will decide if further benefits may be paid for continuation of the program in which the academic deficiency occurred.

Current VA standards require that students attend class and that benefits be terminated when the student has been suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons. (Since VA regulations are subject to periodic change, it is the student’s responsibility to keep up to date on requirements for VA benefits while in attendance at Kennesaw State University.)

Any veteran or dependent wishing to use the GI Bill benefits must contact the VA Coordinator. The office of the VA Coordinator is located in the Office of the Registrar.


Vocational Rehabilitation

Students who attend the university and whose fees are to be paid by the State Department of Education’s Division of Vocational Rehabilitation must make arrangements prior to registration with the Bursar’s Office regarding the handling of their account. In addition, it is the student’s responsibility to request the Office of the Registrar to send copies of his/her grades to the Vocational Rehabilitation Office each semester.