Phone: (470) 578-7673
The Department of Dance at Kennesaw State University fosters an environment of creative and scholarly learning by engaging students as active scholar-artists. The program offers a variety of academic and practical experiences aimed at developing a holistic understanding of dance as an art form, encourage students to investigate dance as a method of analysis, a mode of inquiry, and as an aesthetic experience. Partnerships with professional dance and art organizations provide a variety of practical performance experiences for dance students in the community. Collaborative learning with professional artists and scholars, propel dance students into the profession while they are actively developing their skills as dance artists.
The Department of Dance offers a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Dance as well as a Dance Minor.
Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Dance
The Department of Dance offers a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Dance, with concentrations in modern and ballet. Students must audition to be accepted into the dance major through four regularly scheduled auditions every year. A balanced curriculum of dance theory and practice ensure the departmental commitment to training scholar-artists and preparing students to be successful in the professional world. Through the KSU Dance Company, students have the ability to audition and work at a pre-professional level. Guest artists and choreographers complement our program and expose students to professionals in the field. Our educational partnership with Terminus Modern Ballet Theatre and community partnerships with several leading dance organizations in the metro Atlanta area, provide internship and employment opportunities for our students and graduates.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to the Dance program is separate from admission to Kennesaw State University. Students must meet the audition requirements outlined below to pursue this degree.
Audition Requirements: Dance, BA
- All students entering the dance major program must demonstrate technical and artistic aptitude capable of successfully completing the program of study.
- To register for an audition and receive audition information, students must visit the dance website at https://arts.kennesaw.edu/dance/.
- Dance minor students are NOT REQUIRED to audition for admission into the dance minor program. This audition requirement is only for students entering the dance major program.
- All dance majors must secure KSU university admission in addition to being accepted into the dance major program. Students who have not yet secured university admission at the time of the dance major audition will be granted admission into the dance major program contingent upon their KSU university admission.
- Students are not required to prepare a solo combination for the audition.
- The audition process will consist of a 45-minute ballet barre, followed by a modern combination.
- Students must bring appropriate footwear to the audition. The program recommends that women wear black leotards and tights and men wear all black dance attire to the audition.
- The dance studio will be available 30 minutes prior to the audition for students to warm-up.
- Following the audition class, students will receive detailed program information and have the opportunity to discuss their interests with the dance faculty.
- Students will be notified about acceptance into the program within two weeks following the audition.
To schedule a special audition (for students who are unable to attend the regularly scheduled audition due to unavoidable circumstances), please contact the KSU Department of Dance Office at 470-578-7673 or e-mail email@example.com.
KSU Dance Company Auditions
- Auditions for the KSU Dance Company are reserved for dance majors (fall and spring semesters) and include minors (only spring semesters).
- The auditions are held every semester during the first week of classes.
- Students who are accepted into the company are required to register for DANC 2714 (Dance Performance- 2 credits) immediately following the audition.
- All company members are required to attend a mandatory company technique class. Casting is based on technical ability and schedule availability.
- For additional information visit the dance website at arts.kennesaw.edu/dance/.
Each student is expected to meet the Academic Policies Graduation Policies and Procedures outlined in the Academic Policies section of the Catalog.
Program of Study