The Industrial & Systems Engineering program is a combination of Industrial Engineering & Systems Engineering. Industrial engineering is concerned with design, improvement and implementation of integrated processes of people, processes, information, materials, management and equipment. IE’s draw upon specialized knowledge and skill in the mathematical, physical, and social sciences combined with the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design, to specify, predict, and evaluate processes and systems.
Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary and structured approach to designing and deploying successful systems to blends engineering, systems thinking, and management topics. Systems engineering deals with work-processes, optimization methods, and risk management tools while ensures that all likely aspects of a project or system are considered, and integrated into a whole.
Students in this major have the opportunity to concentrate in either Industrial or Systems. Due to the relevance of the two disciplines, 75% of the curriculum is shared providing graduates with an expanded job market opportunities while the remaining 25% is directed towards the specifics of each area of engineering.
Upon graduation, students will be able to demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- an ability to communicate effectively;
- a broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- a knowledge of contemporary issues;
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The Bachelor of Science in Industrial & Systems Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Engineering Standing Requirements