Jan 22, 2020
Teresa Raczek, Ph.D.
Interim Department Chair
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Department of Geography and Anthropology
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Bachelor of Arts with a major in Geography provides students with an understanding of various aspects of the Earth, including its physical features, the role of humans in modifying the Earth, and the relationships between peoples and places.
General Education Core Curriculum Requirements Specific to This Major:
- Area D1: STAT 1401 (recommended)
- Area D2: GEOG 1112 or GEOG 1113
- It is required that Geography majors complete Geog 1112 or Geog 1113 with a grade of "C "or higher. It must be taken as a free elective if not taken in Area D
Lower Division Major Requirements (Area F) (18 Credit Hours)
- ANTH 1102:Introduction to Anthropology
- GEOG 1101:Introduction to Human Geography
- GEOG 1130:World Regional Geography
- GEOG 1102:Earth from Above
Select one 1000- or 2000- level course from GEOG or related disciplines (ANTH, AADS, AMST, ASIA, ENVS, FL, GWST, HIST, LALS, PAX, PHIL, POLS, PSYC, RELS, SOC, or STS). (3 credit hours)
- GEOG 2200:Research Methods
- FL 2001:Intermediate Foreign Language and Culture I
- SOCI 1101:Introduction to Sociology (if FL 2001 satisfied under General Education requirements)
- FL 2002:Intermediate Foreign Language and Culture II
Major Requirements (27 Credit Hours)
Major Requirements (6 Credit Hours)
Select two (2) Courses:
Select a total of 7 Courses (21 Credit Hours):
Choose two courses from Group A listed below. Choose one course from Group B listed below. Choose any four courses from Groups A, B, C, and/or D listed below.
Group A: Human/Regional Geography
Group B: Physical/Environmental Geography
Group C: Geographic Techniques
Group D: Miscellaneous Courses
Study Abroad 3000-4000 level (any subject)
Related Studies (18 Credit Hours)
Upper-division studies beyond the major requirements as approved by the academic advisor.
Free Electives (15 Credit Hours)
Any courses in the university curriculum.
Program Total (120 Credit Hours)