The Alternative Teacher Preparation (ATP) Program in Foreign Languages is a non-degree undergraduate program leading to P-12 teacher certification in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, or Spanish. It is open to foreign language teachers who are not fully certified but are employed and wish to obtain a State of Georgia Induction Certificate. Upon admission, candidates receive an individualized certification plan. Please refer to the ATP Policies and Procedures for complete program details.
- Full-time employment as a foreign language teacher in a public or private SACS-accredited school in Georgia.
- Sufficient time to complete the program of study before the temporary certificate expires. (This may require an extension of the certificate)
- Letter by the principal of the candidate's school to verify employment and to request that KSU work with the teacher/candidate to complete the requirements towards the Induction Certificate.
- Admission to KSU as an undergraduate non-degree student for Fall semester in the year you wish to be accepted.
- Completed "Program Entry" Georgia Educator Ethics Exam.
- Completed ATP application.
- Official transcripts of all university courses.
- Official professional development transcripts of all courses taken.
- Copies of test score reports (GACE Basic Skills, GACE Content), if taken.
- A copy of the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) certificate, if taken. For Chinese and Japanese, the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Exam (WPT) is also required for a recommendation for certification. It does not apply to Latin.
- Admission interview.
- Hand-written essay in the non-native language completed during on-campus interview .
Application Deadline and Schedule:
Students who wish to apply for the Alternative Teacher Preparation (ATP) program must meet the required deadline.
Fall 2017 applicants:
May 1, 2016 - Date admission requirements must be received.
Articulation through Sequenced Coursework:
Successful completion of FLED 4408, FLED 4410, FLED 4412, and FLED 4414 are prerequisites to enrollment in FLED 4670 and FLED 4671.
Successful completion of FLED 4670 and FLED 4671 are prerequisites to enrollment in FLED 4680 and FLED 4681.
The prerequisites for program continuation comprise a good academic standing with a GPA of 2.75 or higher and no more than one "D" or "F" grade earned in required lower and upper division courses in the teacher education program.
To earn a State of Georgia Induction Certificate:
- Earn an official ACTFL OPI rating of Advanced Low or higher in Type I languages and Intermediate High or higher in Type II languages (Latin is not included).
- Pass the GACE Basic Skills Assessment.
- Pass the GACE Content Assessment for French, German, Latin, or Spanish; or ACTFL WPT for other languages.
- Pass the Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment.
- Pass the edTPA content pedagogy assessment.