WellStar College of Health and Human Services, Department of Social Work and Human Services
Through a partnership with the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance, a national collaborative of nonprofit, academic, and private partners, the Department of Social Work and Human Services offers an academic experience-based approach to preparing students for administrative and leadership roles in the growing nonprofit sector. Students must meet criteria for acceptance into the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Certificate program (see Campus Executive Director). Completion of this Certificate's requirements result in students receiving national certification and credentialing (Certified Nonprofit Practitioner). Certificate program participants acquire an academic and on-the-job education in 10 core competencies: Communication, Marketing, & Public Relations; Cultural Competency & Diversity; Financial Resource Development and Management; Foundations and Management of the Nonprofit Sector; Governance, Leadership & Advocacy, Legal & Ethical Decision Making; Personal & Professional Development; Program Development; Volunteer & Human Resource Management; and the Future of the Nonprofit Sector.
Students must demonstrate completion of:
- Nonprofit Competencies: identified and validated by the nonprofit sector, the competencies outline the knowledge, skills, and abilities; needed to lead and manage a nonprofit organization;
- Internship Experience: 300-hour internship or professional employment with a nonprofit organization;
- Leadership and Service Activities: demonstrated community leadership skills in diverse situations;
- Management/Leadership Institute attendance; and
- Baccalaureate Degree or enrollment in a KSU major leading to a Baccalaureate Degree.
Interested students may enroll in this program by contacting the Campus Executive Director of the KSU Nonprofit Leadership Alliance who is housed in the Department of Social Work and Human Services and completing the online application available at wellstarcollege.kennesaw.edu/swhs/. To qualify for the program, students must:
- Earn and be able to maintain an Institutional GPA of 3.0 or higher (or have earned a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution);
- Complete all General Education course requirements, unless the student already possesses an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution; and
- Complete the online application, which includes a 150-word personal statement describing his/her interest in the certificate program and how the certificate program will benefit his/her future career trajectory.
The National Nonprofit Leadership Alliance organization requires a direct payment of $125.00 be made for affiliation, certification and credentialing.