2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jan 22, 2020  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Policies Registration Policies

Jump to:        
Registration Access Eligible to Register - Defined Holds on Registration Verification of Course Schedule Credit Hour
Classification of Courses Full Time & Max Course Load Course Auditing Prerequisites
Enrollment Classification Tuition Classification Withdrawal from Classes Transient Authorization Cross Registration
Attendance Policy Changing/Declaring Major      

All registration at Kennesaw State University is conducted over the web through Owl Express. 

Registration Access

Continuing, readmit, new graduate students and new students enrolled in online programs will be assigned a time ticket to register during the registration period. Access to registration will be granted by time tickets in Banner/Owl Express based on a student's number of overall earned hours (this includes transfer hours). Currently, enrolled hours are not factored into the time ticket assignment. The University may grant earlier access to registration to certain students who have been approved by the University. 

New undergraduate students may register as a part of an orientation group or during the registration phase prior to classes beginning or Drop/Add for the term. Continuing, readmit, new graduate students and new students enrolled in online programs may register during the registration period in the preceding term. Transient students will register during the registration phase prior to classes beginning or Drop/Add. 

Eligible to Register - Defined

Students eligible to register must enroll during one semester during the year.  If a student is not enrolled three (3) terms or more (including summer), he/she must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Holds on Registration

Holds may be placed on a student's registration in order to satisfy an obligation owed to the university. Holds are displayed on the student's advising guide through Owl Express. Failure to return equipment or lab supplies may also result in a financial hold. Registration and transcript requests may not proceed unless all holds are removed.

Verification of Course Schedule

Students should verify their class schedule for each semester enrolled.  No course additions/deletions are permitted after Drop/Add has ended.  It is the student's responsibility to verify their class schedule (including credit hours) on Owl Express for accuracy.

Credit Hour

KSU's policy defines a credit hour as one hour (50 minutes) of classroom or direct faculty instruction and one hour and 40 minutes of out-of-class student work each week for 15 weeks in a semester. This equates to a minimum of 750 minutes of class and 1,500 minutes of out-of-class academic engagement per semester credit hour.  An equivalent amount of work is required in educational activities that are out of the classroom or do not include direct faculty instruction and equates to a minimum of three hours of student engagement per week, per semester credit hour or a minimum of 2,250 minutes. These equivalencies are provided for use in online and hybrid courses.  This policy is published in the academic policies section of the undergraduate and graduate catalogs and covers all courses regardless of type of course, term length, or delivery mode.

Classification of Courses  

Courses of instruction for degree credit in the curriculum of Kennesaw State University will be divided into four categories: lower division, upper division, graduate and doctorate.  Lower division courses (typically regarded as freshman and sophomore level courses) are numbered 1000-2999; upper division courses (typically regarded as junior and senior level courses) are numbered 3000-4999; graduate courses are numbered 5000-7999 (with the exception of the Bachelor of Architecture with 5000 level undergraduate courses); doctoral courses are numbered 8000-9999.  Graduate courses are open only to students accepted to graduate study. (Courses numbered below 1000 do not count for degree credit but do count for determining fees and enrollment status.)

Full Time & Maximum Course Load

Full Time Course Load - For undergraduate students, twelve (12) semester hours is a full-time load in determining such things as veteran status, financial aid, and insurance eligibility. However, the usual load for a full-time undergraduate student is at least fifteen (15) semester credit hours in both fall and spring semesters. Since summer semester is approximately half the length of these semesters and the workload, therefore, twice as heavy, KSU strongly recommends that students not attempt more than twelve (12) hours of credit during that term. Since twelve (12) hours during the summer may be difficult due to the short length of time, nine (9) hours may be more reasonable but twelve (12) semester hours is a full-time load. For graduate students, nine (9) semester hours is considered full-time.

Maximum Course Load - During the Fall and Spring semesters, a student may register for up to 18 hours.  The Office of the Registrar may approve up to 21 hours for students with an Institutional GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Course loads above 21 hours must also have a recommendation from the student's department chair.

During the Summer term, a student may register for up to 13 hours.  The Office of the Registrar may approve up to 15 hours for students with an Institutional GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Course loads above 15 hours must also have a recommendation from the student's department chair.

Students on probation will be limited to 13 hours during any semester. Course loads above 13 hours must have a recommendation from an academic advisor or department chair that is made to the Registrar.

Auditing - Course Audits (V Grade)

Students at Kennesaw State University can request to audit one or more courses in a term for a V (Visited) grade.  Courses that have an audit status carry the same tuition/fees as those taken for credit.  This grade will have no effect on a student's GPA and cannot be changed to another grade in the future.

A student may choose to withdraw from a course for which an audit status has been granted. However, this withdrawal is subject to the institutional withdrawal policy.

A student may choose to re-enroll in a course previously audited for a grade or for an additional audit attempt. However, departments may choose to limit the number of course attempts available to students.

If a student would like to audit a course, he/she should meet with his/her academic advisor and complete an Audit Request Form. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of Drop/Add.  Changes in an audit status cannot be made after Drop/Add has ended.


Students should attempt to schedule courses that serve as prerequisites for advanced study early in their academic career.  Lower division courses are designed to serve as preparatory for upper division requirements.

Enrollment Classification

Undergraduate students will be classified based on the number of earned institutional hours.

  • Freshman:        0 - 29 hours
  • Sophomore:     30 - 59 hours
  • Junior:             60 - 89 hours
  • Senior:             90 hours or more

Tuition Classification

Students are responsible for registering for classes in the correct tuition classification (in-state or out of state).  If students seek to be classified as an in-state student (with a resident tuition classification), he or she must provide verification of lawful presence in the United States

Withdrawal from Classes

Students may withdraw from one or more courses up to one week prior to the last day of class. Summer withdrawal dates vary according to the part of term in which the student is enrolled. As of fall 2004, students will be allowed a maximum of eight total withdrawals if they enter KSU as a freshman. Transfer students will be allowed one withdrawal per fifteen credit hours attempted, for a maximum of eight. Students who choose to pursue a second degree at KSU will be allowed two additional withdrawals and consult with the Registrar's Office. Students who entered KSU before fall 2004 will be allowed one withdrawal per fifteen credit hours attempted for a maximum of eight after the institution of this policy. As part of the consolidation process between Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University, SPSU students will have eight withdrawals available beginning Fall Semester 2015.

Students who exceed the maximum number of withdrawals will receive a grade of "WF" for any subsequent withdrawals. To completely or partially withdraw from classes at KSU, a student must withdraw online through Owl Express.

Students who officially withdraw from courses before the last day to withdraw without academic penalty will receive a grade of "W" and receive no credit. Students who officially withdraw after the last day to withdraw without academic penalty and before the last week of classes during the semester or who have exceeded the maximum number of withdrawals will receive a grade of "WF," which will be counted as an "F" in the calculation of their grade point average.

For attendance verification, faculty may assign "non-attendance" or submit a grade of W or WF for students who stop attending class and do not officially withdraw along with the last day of known attendance.

The only exceptions to these withdrawal regulations will be for instances involving unusual circumstances, which must be fully documented. Students may appeal to the Academic Standing Committee for consideration of unusual circumstances. Exact withdrawal dates are published in the official academic calendar. Students will receive refunds only when they withdraw from ALL their classes and only by the schedule outlined in the University System refund policy.

Military Withdrawals

Kennesaw State students who are called to active duty or who are deployed during the term may be eligible for a military withdrawal. Students who withdraw for military reasons will receive a WM grade in all courses and receive a refund of tuition and mandatory fees and a pro rata refund of other fees. Students who would like to withdraw for military reasons must submit a copy of their official orders to the Registrar's office.  Military withdrawals do not count as part of the eight (maximum) allowed withdrawals.

Transient Authorization (for KSU Students) attending another College/Institution

Students wishing to be transient students at another institution must complete the Transient Request form. In order to be eligible for transient status, a student must be an undergraduate, in good standing, and have completed at least one semester at KSU. Students must be currently enrolled or enrolled within the past three semesters. Students who are not in good academic standing may complete this form to acquire a letter of no objection. Transient coursework will not be included in the KSU Institutional GPA. If a student repeats an institutional course as a transient student and receives a higher grade in the transient course, the repeated KSU grade will be EXCLUDED from the KSU Institutional GPA. Transient forms can only be processed for the next upcoming semester. Students on disciplinary suspension or expulsion will not be issued a transient statement. Students need to consult with their academic advisor prior to enrolling in the transient course(s).

Cross Registration - Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education (ARCHE)

Kennesaw State University is a member of the Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education, an association of colleges and universities in the Atlanta area offering a combination of reciprocal academic services, such as cross registration, interlibrary loans and visiting scholars program.

The cross registration program is available to students officially enrolled in Atlanta Regional Consortium Institutions. This program is distinct from transient status in that it is possible for a student to register for an approved course at any of the 20 consortium schools and receive credit, while paying tuition costs to the home institution. The intent is to allow qualified students to take course work in their area of study that is not available on their own campus.

Students who wish to cross register must meet all eligibility requirements under the ARCHE agreement and the University. Courses taken at a partnering school are transferred back as transfer credit. Credits earned through the ARCHE program do not count in the KSU residency requirement.

To be eligible to participate, the student must be in good standing and must have the recommendation of the faculty advisor or department chair at the home institution. Cross registration may be pursued only for courses not offered at the home institution for the given term and is not recommended for students in their last semester before graduation. KSU students must be enrolled for at least one semester hour at KSU in order to cross register. Students who wish to enroll in courses at member institutions of the Atlanta Regional Consortium should obtain a Cross-Registration form from the cross registration coordinator in the Office of the Registrar. Check with the coordinator for individual member college cross registration deadlines. A complete list of the requirements for eligibility and registration procedures are located on the ARCHE Registration form.

Member Colleges 

Agnes Scott College
Brenau University
Clark Atlanta University
Clayton College & State University
Columbia Theological Seminary
Emory University
Georgia Gwinnett College
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia State University
Interdenominational Theological Center
Kennesaw State University
Mercer University of Atlanta
Mercer University
Morehouse College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Oglethorpe University
Savannah College of Art and Design - Atlanta
Spelman College
University of Georgia
University of West Georgia

Attendance Policy 

Attendance in classes, laboratories and lectures is important. All students are expected to attend these activities in accordance with their schedule of courses.  The instructor determines the attendance policy for each course.   All instructors will provide the students, at the beginning of each semester, a clear statement regarding their policies in handling absences.  Instructors will also be responsible for advising their students regarding the academic consequences of absences.

Students must not be absent from announced quizzes, laboratory periods or final examinations unless the reasons for the absences are acceptable to the instructors concerned.  Students should also understand that they are responsible for all material covered during their absences and that they are responsible for the academic consequences of the absences.  Students who are absent because of their participation in university-approved activities, such as field trips and extracurricular events, will be permitted to make up the work missed during their absences.

Changing or Declaring Majors

Students who wish to declare or change his/her major or add/change their concentration will need to request this through Owl Express, Student Records. The appropriate academic department of the new major will address the request. The updated major will appear on the Academic Transcript in Owl Express after the academic department has approved the change. Some students may wish to change from a major to undeclared status. In this case, they must contact the NEST: Advising Center for New, Exploratory and Students in Transition. These services are also available on the web. Students should note that when changing majors, there is a possibility that additional hours of course work beyond those required for the completion of the original program may need to be taken. Students should declare a major as soon as possible so that they can be assigned an advisor to help them expedite their progress toward a degree and to help them in preparing for a career.